Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

I woke up at 5:30, 1 minute before my alarm clock was set to go off (don't ask why my clock was set at 5:31). I woke up my bridesmaids and Laura, who'd stayed over at my house, with The Village People's "Go West." People kept using the bathroom to get ready, and I was trying to pack up and I couldn't get to my toiletries. We got out of there at 6:45 and went to Safeway to get breakfast for the decorators and ice for the coolers. Then we set out for the park. I was driving with Haley (everyone else drove themselves) and she didn't talk much, so I thought a lot about the day and was nervous. When we got there, we saw a mama and baby deer at the entrance.

The boys had already brought the wedding stuff they had in the best man's Jeep, and left again, but nobody else was there yet so we unloaded my car and Rachel's truck until Mom showed up. We had to move one more table, but we just had to swivel it so it wasn't bad. And we covered and set the tables, and Mom put together the pie area, and I tried to keep busy so I wouldn't be nervous. But at 10am I thought to myself "I'm going to be married in THREE HOURS!" and that made my stomach flip. Decorating time went by so quickly, and then it was time to go into Estacada to do makeup and hair. The girls looked SO good in their skirts! I felt a bit like a clown with all that makeup on, but that passed quickly.

At 12:30 we piled into the cars and went back to the park. I had to keep taking big breaths to calm myself - I was glad I wasn't driving. We went straight into the little restrooms near our picnic shelter, and there were a lot of people in there. They stuck a sheet on the floor in the corner and I stood on it to put on my dress and veil. Mike (the best man) knocked on the door and gave me Cory's gift to me - a box from the Made in Oregon store with a silver bracelet in it. We got our bouquets (which I'd given full control of to my aunt - I didn't even know what they were going to look like until just before the wedding) and went out the back of the restrooms to hide and take some pictures. And then it was 1pm, time to start the ceremony! Eek! The girls and I hustled over to the footbridge behind the meadow, and Laura cued the music, and I had to hold onto the bridge's railing because I was shaking. I remember my aunt Tia (who was telling us when to start going down the aisle) saying "I think we're ready!" and my heart started beating really hard. Cory's sister Lisa was walking her daughter the flower girl down the aisle because she was too nervous to go by herself (she's 3) and right before they left the flowergirl looked back at me and smiled. And then everybody was at the altar and it was my turn. I looked at the guests as I started, and down at the ground because I was walking in the grass with heels and was worried, but then I looked up at Cory and he looked so good and so happy that it made me smile and I stared at him for the rest of the ceremony.

I got up there and gave my bouquet to Rachel and grabbed Cory's hands and looked at him while Ron started talking. I asked Cory if he was OK, and told him to relax, and I watched his face twitch. He looked like he was close to crying. I surprised myself - I almost cried when I started coming down the aisle, but after that I was fine. Everyone liked our vows, and when we tied the cord we pulled the knot really tight and made everybody laugh. I timed the ceremony a couple of weeks before and it was about 10 minutes, but I don't think it took longer than 10 seconds before we were done, and we were husband and wife! (I almost got teary when he was pronouncing us husband and wife, and I could hear Rachel sniffing behind me.) I grabbed a teensy bouquet from by Grandma's chair and gave it to Mom, and we were off! It felt so good! We took a couple of pictures on the footbridge, and went back into a corner (where we found a garter snake trying to get out of our way - my sister caught it and carried it around for awhile) and signed the license and took some pictures with our party. And then we went up to the shelter and mingled! Everybody said it was beautiful, and the music was great, and it was so us. All the grandparents were really happy. We passed out the favors, and tried our hardest to talk to everybody, but it was really hard. We took lots of pictures with all sorts of people, and then we cut the pie and fed each other, and while the wine was being poured for everybody we kissed each other and everyone took pictures of us. Mike and Rachel gave short toasts and everyone had pie and ice cream. Cory and I got separated a lot because we each had people to talk to, but that was OK. At around 3:30 or 4 people were leaving, and my family was taking decorations down so we decided to get out of there.

The car was all decorated when we got there, with soap and yarn and a big sign and balloons. When we drove away, I finally cried, and it was partly from being happy and partly from being relieved it was over and mostly because I was so tired.

Next I'll write about the wedding evening and the honeymoon. :)



( 20 comments — Leave a comment )
Jul. 24th, 2003 11:41 am (UTC)
wow! it sounds like everything went according to plan :-) I'm so happy for you.

I have to tell you though, reading through your experience made my own impending wedding feel so real I actually developed butterflies in my stomach and felt my throat go dry with nerves... Oy vey.
I can't wait to hear about how the hotel room was :-)
Jul. 24th, 2003 01:42 pm (UTC)
Yeah, everything went perfectly, to my eyes anyway. Mom told me that wasn't quite the case, but that's another story I'll tell later. :)

It made my stomach jump just typing it out! Really, the butterflies didn't come in earnest until the morning of the wedding when I didn't have anything to do except sit and let my hair and face get worked on.
Jul. 24th, 2003 11:43 am (UTC)
okay, I'm at work, so I can't read that novel just yet... but I had to comment on the first couple of sentences:

don't ask why my clock was set at 5:31

Because you really had to get up at 5:40 and you have a 9 minute snooze? That's why mine would be set to such a weird time :)
Jul. 24th, 2003 11:44 am (UTC)
my alarm is often set at odd times because I simply click past 6:45 and can't be bothered to go through the whole hour of minutes again.
Jul. 24th, 2003 01:41 pm (UTC)
That's exactly what happened! I guess it wasn't THAT hard to explain.
Jul. 24th, 2003 11:44 am (UTC)

I always cry at (and when I'm imagining being at) weddings.

It sounds like it was a really beautiful day. I'm so happy that it went, well, with a "hitch."

Jul. 24th, 2003 01:43 pm (UTC)
Yay! I'm glad I tell it well enough to get a sniff. :)
Jul. 24th, 2003 11:49 am (UTC)
Congrats to you both!! It's damn hard not to cry on the "husband and wife" part, isn't it?

Unlike you, I DID lose it walking down the aisle. I couldn't help it -- I was so happy and relieved.

Just how much are you planning on telling us about the honeymoon, young lady?
Jul. 24th, 2003 01:44 pm (UTC)
I think crying is a good thing, especially when the tears are happy! My teeth did get dried out, though, smiling so much.

And you'll find out about the honeymoon stuff, eh? How's this: I'll describe the stuff that we did that you may *not* be expecting!
Jul. 24th, 2003 11:52 am (UTC)
Ooh! I want to know about flowers, were they gorgeous and lovely? For some reason, the flowers are always one of my favorite things about weddings.

It sounds like a very wonderful event, thanks for posting about all of it. :)
Jul. 24th, 2003 01:45 pm (UTC)
The flowers were great! They were a mix of a bunch of different flowers, some real and some fake (though I have a thing about fake flowers looking icky so they're only things like seeds and stuff), all different colors, in a big posey shape. I hope I got some good pictures of them - I'll be sure to post a few!
Jul. 24th, 2003 11:56 am (UTC)
Oh wow that was beautiful!
I'm happy happy for both of you! :D
Jul. 24th, 2003 01:45 pm (UTC)
Thank you! When's it gonna be your turn, eh? :)
Jul. 24th, 2003 02:41 pm (UTC)
Soon, I hope! :D
Jul. 24th, 2003 07:08 pm (UTC)
It sounds like it was absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to see pictures :) Congratulations hun :) :) :)

oh! and I got my third postcard today! woohoo! :D
Jul. 24th, 2003 09:21 pm (UTC)
Thanks! It was so wonderful, and I'm glad to say that even without getting too stressed out over details beforehand, it still went smoothly!
Jul. 25th, 2003 02:16 pm (UTC)
You tied a knot during the ceremony??? that's so cute!!!
Jul. 25th, 2003 02:38 pm (UTC)
It's a pagan ceremony, really, or a Celtic one (which is basically the same thing I guess) - you hold hands and wrap a cord around them and tie it, and then wiggle your hands out of it, so you make a loop. We're going to put the cord somewhere on display someday, with our vows and things, and the invitations and the programs that Cory designed.
Jul. 25th, 2003 02:55 pm (UTC)
I wish I knew about that when Nico and I got married. That is just so neat :)
Jul. 25th, 2003 04:34 pm (UTC)
I had to take a lot of stuff out of the handfasting ceremony I found, and put in a lot of my own stuff, because the ceremony wording is all so... well, pagan. And I'm not. But it worked out really well for us in the end.
( 20 comments — Leave a comment )