Meggie! (rivulet) wrote,

We had a long day yesterday that went by very quickly at the same time.

I got up at 4 and ran, and we were heading out of the city with our Starbucks coffee by 6. As we got closer and closer to Portland, it got cloudier and cloudier, but nothing came of it. We stopped at Multnomah Falls to get some more coffee and to go to the bathroom, and of course once we left the lodge to go back to the car it started pouring. So we got wet on the way back to the car. It continued dumping on us for a few minutes but we were soon out of it and on the other side of the Cascades, where there were only a few white fluffy clouds hanging out up there.

We made it to the cemetery in Yakima too late for the internment - the ceremony had just concluded and people were starting to chat amongst themselves for a bit before heading on to the memorial service at the Baptist church. I hugged a few people I barely know and chatted with Cory's grandparents and aunt, and then we went to the church.

The memorial service was very long - over an hour. The pastor claimed to have known Margaret for 8 years but apparently he wasn't very close to her because he didn't talk much about what she was like. He quoted Colossians 3:12-14 which has a list of virtues that seemed to fit Margaret, and he repeated them six or seven times throughout the service. There was a slide show DVD that nobody could figure out how to work, so we sat for quite awhile as people looked at the computer, and then when it finally did work there was no sound. And then the mic was opened up for people to talk about their memories.

After the memorial service there was a lunch in the little multipurpose room, and it was very hot and crowded in there. I'd say about a hundred people showed up. She had a lot of friends. :)

After the little lunch Cory and I went to the Ryan Ranch to hang out with some of the family and to see their new dog. It was an annoying dog, but I'm sure it'll mellow out by the next time we're there. We talked to Cory's dad and aunt and uncle and grandparents for a couple of hours, and then at 5 we started heading back home.

We stopped at Multnomah Falls again because Cory's knee was killing him, and I ended up driving the rest of the way home. It rained a bit, or had just finished raining and the cars were kicking up a lot of water from the road, because I couldn't see very well through Portland but then it dried out again and the rest of the way was uneventful except for the threat of a big accident just south of Salem which made us decide to cut through the city and take 99 the rest of the way south. And on 99 a coyote ran across the road in front of us. 'Twas neat. We got home after 10 and took a very very excited dog out to play with the blinking ball.

The best feeling in the whole world is to lie down in one's bed after a long day.

I leave you with a picture of Margaret.
Tags: trips
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.