S&G 1

Raw Food Week, Day 4

And another 2 pounds gone - 6 so far since Monday! Not bad!

Breakfast - half a grapefruit again, and a kiwi
Snacks - the rest of my trail mix, a couple of dates, and a bottle of kombucha
Lunch - salad with more leftover spinach dip and half an avocado

Spanish "Rice"

Raw Spanish Rice

It was pretty, but was really boring. I didn't eat all of mine. Too much jicama.

I'm leaning more and more towards trying a second week. Cory's on board. Too bad I'll be gone on Saturday when the winter market is going on! Gotta start planning meals now.
S&G 1

Raw Food Week, Day 3

Down another 2 pounds this morning!

Breakfast: half a grapefruit.
Snacks: some local trail mix, a (non-raw) Odwalla protein juice, and more dates
Lunch: Leftover spinach dip, with cucumber and carrots and celery

Sesame Noodles

Sesame Noodles!

This was pretty good!
- The sauce was a little thin, which would have worked pretty well with noodles but with zucchini (which sweats a bit), it ended up collecting at the bottom of the bowl. Cory commented that it tasted restaurant-quality - the flavors were really well balanced.
- I need a mandolin if I'm going to be doing this on a regular basis. I had to use my cheese slicer and then cut each slice into noodles. It took eight years.

Lunch was also really good - I shared it with a couple of people at work. I think it was better after having sat overnight. Yum. I may freeze it and take it to Nicoal's this weekend - I'm not sure how it will freeze but we'll see.

The tummy was definitely smaller this morning. Wouldn't it be great if it was this easy to lose all the weight I need to lose? :)

I had a cappuccino this morning (it's what I always get at Starbucks) and it wasn't very good. I had mixed feelings about it; I was sad that it didn't make me as happy as it usually does, but I was happy to know that it's an easy habit to kick. (It could be because I didn't ask for it nonfat - the milk tasted really strong though, it was weird.)

I can totally do this for longer than a week. I wonder how Cory would feel about that.
S&G 1

Raw Food Week, Day 2

Although I know one's weight can fluctuate daily as much as 5 pounds, I was pleased to see that I had lost 2 since yesterday! (I figure any encouragement is good, so I choose to say yay for 2 pounds! I also swear my tummy shrank but I think it's my imagination - heh.)

This morning I had the other half of my grapefruit, and a couple of dates. No yogurt this morning, though I briefly thought about it before I left.

Lunch was leftover cauliflower rice from last night, and a green salad. Yum, was that cauliflower rice good.

Snack was the rest of my dates (I'd taken 6 to work again) and an Odwalla Green Machine juice (which is pasturized, so it's not raw but it's all good).

And then dinner tonight:

Spinach Dip Lettuce Wraps

Spinach Dip Lettuce Wraps with grape tomatoes and sesame seeds!
This is my first foray into grinding cashews to make something creamy. I didn't quite have enough, so the dip is a little bit watery. And my garlic cloves are giant so it's quite zingy, but it's still pretty yummy.

The first thing I thought when I tasted it was "ooh, this would be so good with pita!" And Cory ate his with bread because he was worried about the acidity hurting his stomach (he's sensitive to that stuff). And it ended up being super messy because I didn't have the "right" kind of lettuce. But it was still good.

And now for some reflections for Day 2:
I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it! I don't know why I'm surprised; I've been craving this diet for a few months now - every time I ate fast food I thought about how I'd kind of rather have some veggies - but I really am liking the recipes so far. And they're easy to make (except for the part where my food processor is too small).

Also, I was worried I was going to be hungry all the time. That's totally not the case - there are so few calories in what I'm eating that I don't feel guilty about overeating (though I try not to overeat, of course - it's just that overeating french fries is way worse than overeating lettuce).

Tomorrow, I get to try zucchini noodles!
S&G 1

Raw Food Week, Day 1

I'm so proud of myself today! Yay!

Breakfast was half of a grapefruit, and (I know, I know) coffee. We can't give up the coffee around here, and I'm good with that. :) I also took some Vanilla Cinnamon Orange Greek Yogurt to work, and had that around 11; and was kind of disappointed because it was really sweet and I just didn't feel like it was worth it.

Because Cory needed the car this afternoon, he went home at his usual time (noon) and I stuck around the office for lunch. I'd brought some leftover squash from last night as well as a bit of salad (just greens and a little dressing), but I had a weird problem - for some reason I was super squicked out by the squash (like that feeling you get when you have too much of a fried food and you can't stand to even think about having another bite). I got about three bites down but in the end it wasn't worth it, so I ate my tiny little salad and left it at that. I was pretty hungry for about half an hour, but then after that I was fine.

I also had 6 dates for an afternoon snack, and some water; which, while more than usual, wasn't enough. So I need to work on that.

Which brings us to dinner:

Orange Cauliflower "Rice" with Dried Cranberries & Almonds

Orange Cauliflower and Rice with Dried Cranberries and Almonds. (Recipe here.) I had my doubts about this one, especially as I was tasting it along the way, but the cranberries and almonds really made it yummy. I ate my first helping before thinking about taking a picture, so the photo above is my second helping. I overdid it a little, but it's healthy so I don't feel bad. :)

I'm idly sitting here thinking about the Coconut Bliss ice cream that's in the freezer, but I think I'll drink some water instead.
S&G 1

Raw Food Week, Day 0

Happy Raw Food Eve to me! I celebrated it in a mixed-bag kind of way. Lunch was Wendy's. But then I went on a 5.5-mile, 1500-foot elevation change hike with my cousin and a coworker (and Linus), which was really nice - the weather was perfect, sunny and cool, and even though there was a really looooong uphill part the downhill made it worth it. Linus is dead to the world now. I'm already a little sore; it'll be fun to get out of bed in the morning. :)

Anyway. Dinner was half-raw, half-not.

Spaghetti Squash w/raw tomato sauce

Spaghetti squash was the un-raw half. I don't have spaghetti squash very often, but it sure is yummy, and so much fun to scrape out of the skin with a fork! (I may be easily amused.)

The raw half was the sauce. Most of my raw recipes this week are from Raw Food Punk, and this super-easy raw tomato sauce Yum.

Tomorrow starts the raw food in earnest. Except for yogurt. But the rest of it is going to be yummy! I'm excited.
S&G 1


Tomorrow morning I start my 99% raw diet. (99% because we have condiments that are probably not raw, and I just bought some yogurt on Friday, and I don't want to waste them.)

I have mixed feelings. I'm excited because I know it's good for me, and I'm worried that I won't do well at it. It's only a week, though, and I'm busy enough at work that it's not going to be that hard to go through with the meal plan and recipes I have, so that's helpful. I'm really interested in how I'll feel by the end of the week - so many people say they feel so much better and I really hope I'm that way too.
S&G 1

(no subject)

For some reason Linus has had tummy issues today, so I was being gentle with him on a walk a few minutes ago. He started off walking ahead of me so I decided I'd let him decide where to go for once. He led me around the corner, across the street, up the stairs, through the parking lot, and straight to the door of Petco. Petco was closed, of course, but the window was really clean so Linus tried to go in and bonked his head on the glass. I think that was the funniest walk I've ever been on.
S&G 1

Doh, a Deer.

So, this morning we had an unfortunate run-in with a deer.

We were on Walnut Street, in a school zone so we were going pretty slowly, when suddenly a deer (probably a yearling - it wasn't huge and didn't have horns) appeared about two feet in front of us. Cory was driving. He said he watched the deer stop in front of the car, take a step back, and then dart ahead again. Cory slammed on the brakes but the deer was so close that there was no way to avoid it. It hit the front of the car, went up and landed on the roof, stayed there for a second, and then slid back down to the ground. It flailed around on the ground, got its footing, and ran off; leaving us with a broken headlight, a damaged-beyond-repair hood, and a big dent in the roof.

When Deer Attack

Thank goodness we were only going 20-25mph, so that we barely felt the impact, that the bumper didn't get a scratch and that the deer didn't die right there. Thank goodness we were able to pop the majority of the roof dent back into place, thus avoiding $1200-worth of damage.

However, that clinches it - we can't go to Disneyland for Christmas. :(
S&G 1

Aww, nuts.

I think my 'maters are diseased. Observe:

Oh no!

I cut these two off the plant because they looked pretty bad, and the others are still too small to have any problems. Does anyone know about tomato maladies?
S&G 1

Take a peek at the peak, write on your site about the sight.

We had a memorable Fourth of July this year!

At around 1, Nicoal arrived and we went out to Nearly Normals for lunch. They were reeeeeallllllly slow. Like almost 45 minutes from ordering to eating. But the food was yummy.

After lunch we hung out at home for a bit until Cory's friend Mike and his girlfriend Angela arrived, and then we set out for Marys Peak - a bit early because we weren't sure what to expect as far as parking availability on a popular holiday.

Marys Peak is west of Corvallis, the highest point in the Coast Range at 4097 feet. It takes about 40 minutes to get to the parking lot, and then it's a 1.5-mile hike uphill to the summit. There's another grassy area closer to the parking lot that also boasts some pretty good views of the Willamette Valley, but if you also want 360-degree views the summit is the place to go.

Mike and Angela followed us up, and we donned our packs and started up. My pack was pretty heavy, with three thermoses of coffee and three bottles of water, along with some food and jackets and other various things, and it didn't take long before I was hot and sweaty and out of breath. And we hadn't gotten to the steep part yet. But one can't get into shape by not working, I suppose, so in the end I was happy to get that exercise.

When we reached the top, we took a breather and then set up our little vantage point.

Our Vantage Point

We set up our camp chairs and blankets and ate some KFC that Mike and Angela brought, and other snacky things. It was much cooler up there than on the valley floor, and we had to start layering pretty quickly. I played a game of cribbage with Cory and Angela to teach her how to play. As the sun started to go down, we all walked around the summit taking photos of the deepening light and watched people start to join us on the grass and lupine.


Linus got the crazies, so after a few minutes of taking one step and having him RUNAROUNDANDAROUNDANDJUMPJUMPJUMPRUNRUNJUMPRUN and then taking another step and OMGRUNJUMPJUMPRUNRUNRUNJUMPRUNEATGRASS I decided to take him down to the parking lot so he could exercise a little and Nicoal and I could throw away our bag of KFC trash. (A few college-aged boys had a big pretty dog that had no leash and no interest in listening to the boys. Luckily, the boys had no interest in telling it what to do, so it roamed around and got into everybody else's stuff.)

When we got back up, we settled in for fireworks-viewing, along with maybe 30 other people scattered around the summit. (And Linus finally crashed too.)

Waiting for Dark

The sun had gone down but the sky was still pretty light, but it sorted itself out soon enough and we were able to finally see where the cities were, once the city lights came up. We could see Salem, Albany, Corvallis, Philomath, Lebanon, Harrisburg, Springfield, Eugene, and I'm sure a few other places as well. And then the fireworks started, the official ones in Salem and Corvallis and Eugene and little home-made shows too. They were teensy little things, but pretty neat to see from way up on the Peak, and we could barely hear little muffled booms too, though usually the voices of the people around us drowned them out.

It was over pretty quickly, and so we packed up by moonlight and started down the trail to the parking lot, nobody saying much of anything like most trips home tend to be. Mike and Angela headed for home straight from the lot, and Nicoal came home with us.

We got home around midnight, and all of us fell into bed. It had cooled off really quickly, too, which was nice because we'd forgotten to open the windows before we left and the house was stuffy. But we made short work of the stuffiness.

This morning, because Nicoal had to leave earlyish, she and I got up early and made blueberry pancakes with blueberries we got yesterday and ate them on the patio in the cool morning air. It was great - I love my patio but not when I'm all by myself out there, so I don't go out there for meals as often as I'd like.

And then Nicoal went home and Cory and I have been spending the rest of the day being quiet and still. :) All in all, it was a great 4th and a great weekend, and I'm glad to have spent it with good friends!